58. Before and After: DIY Shoe Bows

Every good project needs a good back story…and this one is no different.

There is a pair of shoes from J. Crew that I absolutely adore.  Tell me they aren’t adorable?

I’ve teetered on buying these several times.  Problem #1 – They are $98.  NINETY. EIGHT. DOLLARS.  I’ve actually paid that much for a pair of shoes before, but not for a pair of flats (I wear them out too quickly).  They aren’t even real leather!  The J. Crew Factory website has sales quite often, sometimes when these shoes are already marked down.  Even so, I’ve never seen them for cheaper than $60, and that doesn’t include the cost of shipping.  Problem #2 – Even if I was willing to pay any price for these shoes, my size is back ordered until April.  They are SUPER popular shoes!

If you’ve been reading my blog at all, you obviously already know what I decided to do: make them myself for a fraction of the cost.  Whee!

Without further ado:

DIY Shoe Bows/Clips

Materials:

patent flats in the color of your choice
matching grosgrain ribbon in 5/8″ and 1-1/2″ widths, about a yard of each
shoe clips
hot glue gun and glue sticks
scissors
measuring tape

Directions:

1. Buy a cheap pair of patent flats.  I bought mine from ebay for $20 (with free shipping!), but the exact same pair is also over at ZOOSHOO (affiliate link).  You can save 15% off orders over $50 with the code 15OFF50 through 3/31/14, and they always ship free. 🙂

diy show bows clips tutorial
2. Find matching ribbon.  I ordered mine from Ribbons and Bows Oh My.  I wasn’t sure what color would be closest, so I ordered two different shades.  For these particular shoes, the “oatmeal” color was almost a perfect match.  Sweet!

diy shoe clips bows tutorial
3. Cut two 8″ pieces of 1-1/2″ width ribbon.  Glue the edges to the center as shown.

diy shoe bows clips tutorial
4. Cut two 7″ pieces of 1-1/2″ width ribbon.  Glue the edges to the center as you did for the 8″ pieces.

5. Attach the smaller bows to the larger bows with a thin strip of glue at the center.

6. Cut two 3″ pieces of 5/8″ width ribbon.  Wrap around the center of the bows as shown, securing at the back with glue.

diy shoe bows clips tutorial
7. Cut two 4″ piece of 5/8″ width ribbon and tie a knot in the center of each piece.  Center the knot in the front, and wrap the remaining ribbon around to the back, securing with glue.

diy shoe bows clips tutorial

8.  Attach shoe clips to the back of each bow as shown.  Optional: Cover shoe clip with a small piece of ribbon to further protect shoe (especially if you plan to wear them at all without the bows).  I already had some shoe clips on hand, but they are fairly inexpensive.  I bought mine from Etsy.

diy shoe bows clips tutorial

9. Clip bows onto shoes, put them on your feet, and prance around the house.

diy shoe bows clips tutorial

I seriously love how these turned out!  I love the cost breakdown even more:

Shoes – $20.00
Ribbon – $2.90 + $3.15 shipping and handling
Glue gun and glue – $0.00 (already owned)
Shoe clips – $0.00 (already owned)
TOTAL COST = $26.05 (a savings of over 73%!)

The best part is being able to wear these shoes without the bows, too.  You could get even more wear out of these by pairing them with different colored bows; I’ve been thinking about making another set in gold glitter.  Ooo la la!

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial!

diy shoe bows clips tutorial
XO,
Gabriella

Remember to follow me to see all my latest posts, and don’t forget to share me with your friends!

32. Sneak peak at our upholstered platform bed!

I’ve talked about it so much I’m sure you’re probably sick of it, but the majority of our upholstered bed is finished!  It’s the knockoff version of Restoration Hardware’s Alder Tufted Platform Bed.

Adler Tufted Platform 56" Bed (Restoration Hardware)

Adler Tufted Platform 56″ Bed (Restoration Hardware)

Their model is 56″ tall and cost $2595…before shipping.  Yikes.  Ours will come out to 60″ tall, and if I’ve done my math correctly…$226.97!

That’s right, we built a similar bed for about 8% of the cost!  My original budget was $250; obviously I am super proud of myself for keeping things under my spending limit!

I finished the main part of the headboard last night, which definitely turned out to be the most labor-intensive part of the project.  My hands and fingers are still sore today!

Brace yourself for some awesomeness…

TADA!

091613_1

The only thing I think I want to fix is the top…I’m not loving how tight I pulled the fabric.  I’d rather it be a more flat edge instead of scalloped.  Anyway, it’s by no means perfect, but I think this headboard came out AMAZING considering I’ve never done any tufting in my life.

I am patting myself on the back as we speak.

I can’t wait to show you the final product once we get everything assembled!!!

XO,
Gabriella

Remember to follow me to see all my latest posts, and don’t forget to share me with your friends!